Sometimes you just have to roll with the punches when things aren’t going the way you planned. In this case, we had to go with plan C because mother nature decided to throw some curve balls. Mike, Tom and myself made plans to hike into a lake we had never fished before in search of some lake trout. The lake sits roughly 1,000 feet straight down from a road, and the lake itself is at 12,500 feet above sea level.
We had an early start, arrived at the road in question, and it was closed. Now this road is a seasonal road and is not open in the winter months. But we had all checked to make sure the road was open for our adventure and everywhere we checked said it was open. There were no signs around to let us know why the road was closed but a gentlemen walked over and let us know that the road was closed due to a rock slide. So on to plan B.
Unfortunately, plan B was setup if for some unforeseen reason we could not make it to our first destination, we were going to fish a lake that is right next to the road. So of course that was out since we couldn’t even get up the road. Plan C, here we go.
Plan C was thrown together last minute when we decided to hike to a lake that is in the generally vicinity of where we currently were. We didn’t want to waste anymore time with driving somewhere else, so we threw on our packs and headed up the trail. Not knowing if the lake we were hiking to was free of ice or not, because the high alpine lakes had seen a lot of snow late in the season and most were still frozen, but we went anyway. We arrived at the lake to find it 95% iced. Oh well, at least we had a small area that was unfrozen to wet some lines.
The rest of the day was spent fishing and lounging, lounging because the fishing wasn’t that great. In fact, only one fish was caught and that was by Mike. But we still had a great time with some majestic mountains and with good friends, and in the end that’s really all that matters.